When The British Xylonite Company Ltd commissioned Brantham Village Community Hall in 1914, (as the centrepiece of their new model village), they included a stage, complete with purpose built wings and proscenium arch. It is fairly certain that Amateur Theatricals have taken place in the hall for over 100 years, although the early shows are lost in the mists of time.
Brantham Amateur Theatrical Society (BATS) can loosely trace its history to 1972 when a Drama subcommittee of the Community Council known as the Brantham Community Council Drama Group staged their first production - the pantomime Tom Thumb. Briefly known as The Brantham Players they became BATS in 1982. Then when the Community Council was disbanded in 1985 they became a fully independent Society.